Author Topic: Pelvic Floor Exercises  (Read 10606 times)

Mrs Mac

• View Profile
Pelvic Floor Exercises
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »
Hi everyone

I suffer from stress incontinence!!!!  There I have finally admitted it to someone other than my doctor   ;D

I am 54 and have had this problem for a few years now.  I am taking Duluxatine tablets which worked at first but I am afraid to stop them in case things get worse.  At the moment I have to wear pads pretty much every day.  Some days I don't get any leakage, other days quite a lot.  I went to a physio who told me the only way to cure it was to do pelvic floor exercises, which I have started doing but I have trouble doing them - I can only do them when I am lying down, which seems a bit weird I admit, but when I try to do them when I am photocopying at work (seems like a good way to pass the time!!!) I can't feel anything happening.  I am starting to get a bit down about it now, I feel like everyone can smell me (even though I shower twice a day) and even with my husband I feel embarrassed about it, and from reading the posts on the menopause matters website it seems the only way from here is downhill.........

:-\

Lovealittle

• View Profile
Re: Pelvic Floor Exercises
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
It might be useful to have gynae physio so you have a better understanding of pelvic floor exercises

or use vaginal balls to strengthen muscles, I found these made me able to feel and exercise the muscles

Gagamama

• View Profile
Re: Pelvic Floor Exercises
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »
Hi everyone

I suffer from stress incontinence!!!!  There I have finally admitted it to someone other than my doctor   ;D

I am 54 and have had this problem for a few years now.

:-\

WELL DONE MRS MAC YOU ARE ON FIRST STEP TO RECOVERY! WE ARE OPEN A FEARLESS IN OUR DISCUSSIONS HERE.

If you have time, do read all the discussion threads carefully. Even the ones which don't at first seem relevant sometimes offer a little nugget of information that makes you think "aha".

There is almost always something that will help, although the finding of it is often difficult as it varies from person to person.

Something that helped me in my earlier stages of stress incontinence (before I started getting much older!) was one of those pelvic floor toners that work a bit like a TENS machine, battery powered, they send little impulses that make the muscles jump...and thus get exercised many more times than you could ever do pelvic contractions) Mine was the Nuromed Femetone Stimulator which cost me about £80 in 2004 and was worth every penny as it gave me an extra four to five years of hardly any leaks before things went downhill again and I went for TVT op' which has been 100% successful!
I have been told that some hospitals' continence advisors can loan such equipment for you to try. Might be worth investigating.
You can find information on Nuromed at www.nuromed.com
Hope this gives you some hope. Don't give up.